Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring Break: Film, Film and More Film

Last week was my spring break, which I spent mostly devoted to filming, but in the process I went to the beach, found amazing film soundtracks in the clearance section at Amoeba Records, swam with friends, crashed a party in the Hollywood Hills, cried, laughed and just generally lived. Peek below for more photos and the full story...
The short I wrote/directed for my film class at USC took extensive planning, location scouting and just general pre-production things. I finally wrapped filming Wednesday night, and now I have a week to edit it (and most importantly, find the right music for it!) These are shots from the first day of shooting. We shot at my friend's beach area in Malibu. It was really dreamy and magical and a great way to start production. The story I wrote is about a couple, and we really spent the day getting comfortable both behind and in front of the lens.
Early in the week I needed to pick up a couple of china balls for some lighting on set and so I headed over to the Vine American Party Store on Melrose-- a place I used to love to go to when I was a little kid. They have wall to wall bows, streamers, decorations, and knick knacks. It's amazing but also like a vortex.
We shot all around Los Angeles, and this was taken one night shoot at the Santa Monica pier. I basically dug my own grave writing all the different locations into my script, but it had to be done.
The film class that I'm taking requires you to be your own writer, director, producer, cinematographer, editor and production designer. It's an obscene amount of work (that really makes you appreciate everyone involved on a film set) but some of the beauty of it is when things work out just as you wanted them to (because they so often don't). I wrote a romantic/dream-like dinner scene into my script and had this light decorated tree in mind when writing, and I ended up set decorating it exactly like I planned!
After the first day of shooting my friends and I went for a swim late at night. It was so nice and the perfect end to such an exciting and meaningful day for me. The project I am working on is very personal, and filming it was an extraordinary experience to be in charge of and create.
For work outside of my film project, I had to record an ethnographic event for my anthropology class. Therefore, my cousin and I took a class on Crystal Healing and I wrote about it for my paper. Now, we're knee deep in the process of bathing and charging our crystals. Say what what you want about their specific healing properties, I think if you put positive energy towards anything something's bound to happen.
Something I really enjoyed over break was the few times I got to spend with my mom when I wasn't filming. We went out one friday and got dinner and went to Amoeba. It was so fun. This is an outfit from that night, wearing my new favorite Adidas superstars.
My mom and I also went and got lunch at La Boulange on La Brea on one of our lunch breaks this week (hers from work, mine from my internship at Plan B Entertainment). I'm addicted to iced matcha lattes now!
Been loving the color green lately. I don't know why, but its come into my wardrobe rotation a bunch. And cargo pants are perfect for running around the city when you have a ton of errands to run.
Some essential items I was carrying around in my bag all week: rose oil, extra camera batteries, headphones, and camera lens cleaning supplies!

P.s. The sunsets have been crazy here lately. I've been loving the weather, and its absolutely perfect for filming 'round the clock.