Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New York in Black & White

Every time I visit New York, I feel differently about the city. This trip we had the perfect weather-- cloudy skies with a little bit of heat-- and I didn't want to leave. That being said, it always feels nice to come back to Los Angeles where wide streets, open front yards, and swimming pools abound.

I became obsessed with this dress last Spring but couldn't justify spending so much money on such a crazy piece. Even though it's black and white (two very wearable colors), there's nothing classic or versatile about this piece. It's oversized, sort of see-through, and kind of varsity themed. And yet, I couldn't stop thinking about it; so when it went on sale, I had to snatch one up. And honestly? It's my favorite dress right now and feels perfect for these end of summer vibes I've been feeling. (For oversized/sizing reference, I'm 5'7'' and a Small in this dress).
Because of the short trip we only had a chance to stop in at one museum before leaving. Luckily, the Museum of Modern Art is the best and completely worth visiting whenever you're in New York. Henri Rousseau's The Dream is one of my favorite paintings of all time, but I got the chance to see Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World (below) for the first time and seriously fell for the stark colors and emotionally charged imagery.  I took some photos of some other amazing pieces to share as well.