Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stylish Wanderer (And Mom) Goes a' Thrifting

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
target trousers, margiela MM6 satin jacket, urban outfitters purple shirt, david aaron boots, vintage silver cuff
A longgg time ago, a reader asked for me to tell them the secrets/guide of thrifting. What a fun idea! I combined thrifting, with blogging, what more could be fun than that? So here we are. Epic post time. There is also added commentary by my dear mother, since she is the one who taught me to thrift in the first place. Enjoy.
Photobucket
Stylish Wanderer Hints/Tips/Tricks/:
1. Do not be afraid of the scary lighting and (perhaps) scary people. The people are there for a bargain, just like yourself. Keep your head down, and avoid eye contact.
2. If you are looking for a certain type of item, search in both the mens department, and womens department. Example: Out for the perfect oversized sweater? Go to both the mens and womens section. You never know what could be lurking in a corner.
3. JUST because its designer, doesnt mean its awesome. Ive seen several Chritian Dior coats over my thrifting experiences, and Ive resisted buying them because its the brand I want, not the actual coat.
4. Sequins. I know they seem rare. Seriously, they are not. Only buy a sequin shirt if you LOVE it. Not just because sequins are a trend. This goes for any trend item. Buy it if you like it, not because its in.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Mom Tricks:
1. Look in every area. Its not a commercial business, they dont worry about stuff being in the wrong place. You can find cool garments totally mis-hung.
2. Ignore the size marks. A size 12 vintage dress is actually a size 6 or 8 in vintage sizes.
3. Just because you go to the thrift store once, and there isnt anything there, doesnt mean that it will be the same way the next time. Go on a regular basis, they get new stuff daily.
4. Look in the type of neighborhood the thrift store is located. If its in an old neighborhood with old houses, youre more likely to find vintage and older clothing. Newer houses, not so much.
5. Vintage men clothes are harder to find then women's. Culturally, men wear out what they buy, women buy it and then get rid of it. :) (Stylish Wanderer: Fact, girls, and you know it)
6. You will find that each thrift store has its own personality. A goodwill in one town will have totally different stuff, than a goodwill in a town three miles away.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

45 comments :

bare.peppermint.fashions said...

great post. i love thrifting so much. i'd do it everyday if i could!

May Kasahara said...

love this post.

great tips ♥

margault said...

your thrift store is wayyy much organized and clean than mine !
love!

Amelia said...

Fun post. I love the pictures. I wish I had time to thrift more often.

Beccii said...

Hi! I love your posts, you inspired me to start my own blog! If you had time could you drop by my blog and give me a few pointers?

Beccii said...

Hi! I love your posts, you inspired me to start my own blog! If you had time could you drop by my blog and give me a few pointers?

Nita-Karoliina said...

great post! love thrifting!

Lauren said...

Sucha good post! Your mum must be the best shopping partner with those tips!

x x x

Akiri Keetee said...

i wish we had thrifting stores THAT large!!! seems like great fun :)

Ambroisine said...

Thank yo so much for this post ! I like the tips you gave, really useful !
And this place is just huge can't believe it..

Parapluie said...

I love thrifting, so thanks for the advice!

50two said...

OHMYGOD. WOW. okay the op shops where i live are about the size of a classroom.

3. JUST because its designer, doesnt mean its awesome.

totally agree with that, i found a $5 givenchy bag but it was just too..notnicelooking. :)

Luna said...

lovely blog!

AusAnna said...

really helpful post, im a terrible thirfter. ! thanks for the tips :)x

roxanne said...

i love that your mom contributed to this post! great tips.

Carlita said...

Fabulous post, it was fun to read and look at :). I wish I had more time to go thrifting!

Lisa said...

this is wickedly. cool. advice girl!

aka. thrifting queen.

thanks for the tips!!!!

x

geri said...

ohhh so fun!!! i love goodwill!!

re: nasty gal banners, i've become friendly with the girls there and they sent them over to me. they have such great vintage.

savannah said...

great tips!

my mom hates thrifting, so we dont go as often as i would like.
:/

your goodwill is huge, and so well organized compared to mine..

Deborah said...

thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to use them on my next shopping extravaganza!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Great tips, it's like a part time job to go thrifting but so worth it.

Trendology said...

love this post - my mom is my favorite shopping partner when it comes to thrift stores

KEREN said...

Ah, the joys of thrifting. ;)
If only my mother believed in clothing that has been worn before. Grr.
I go 'thrifitng' as much as possible, but convincing my mother would really help the frequency.

Anyway, great post!

Alice X said...

great great great post, your lucky you have your mom to thrift with you, i had to discover it myself, i love it:) your goodwill is GIGANTIC.

alicexinwonderland.blogspot.com

Britney said...

Your thrift store is so huge and organized! Ours are pretty junky and small, haha. Great tips :)

Bumblebee said...

Good tips! I've just started thrifting within the past year so you could say I'm still figuring it out. I used to think thrifting was something only hippies did (not kidding!) but I've found some really good pieces!

Kelly said...

great tips! from both you and your mom! i hope i can get out thrifting soon...

Kelly said...

great tips! from both you and your mom! i hope i can get out thrifting soon...

July Stars said...

Love the trousers and shoes you're wearing in the pictures! Beautiful silhouette ...

La Fée said...

great tips, I love scouring charity shops for bargains :)

Anna-Maria said...

I'd wish we had amazing thrift stores like this in germany..

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

That's one heckuva thrift store! I actually like doing my thrifting at yard sales, I find the scale more manageable and I love getting the story of an item I buy. Plus I rarely spend more than a dollar for clothing!

love and youth said...

very good post about thrifting, i love it, it gets me way too excited if i manage to find something supercool and unique. in a second-hand shop i'm like a kid in a candy store!

Eve said...

oh fun! I have a friend who loves Goodwill. Her & I have gone there a few times. Theres a really good and big one in san francisco. :D
loving ur blog! hope u check out mines =) i am in need of readers =[

Fashlynable said...

I'm very envious of that huge thrift store you've photographer. The few in my town are tiny, but still pretty great. I just love thrift and antique stores in general. Thanks for the tips, I plan to use them on my massive thrift hunt tomorrow!

Fashlynable said...

(Not to double post but instead of "photographer" substitute "photographed").

The Stylish Wanderer said...

Im so glad all of you liked this!
Whats funny is, I dont think my goodwill is that big, especially because its in a really small town. Hmmmm

Lains said...

Wow, really good tips.
I wish the thrift shops near me were like that.

Aless & Rocío said...

Amazing place. I Spain there are no places like this...
I like your outfit!!
xx

Stephanie D. said...

this is a awesome post! If only we had those great big thrift stores here in the Uk =( but we do have little disty ones =)

frncs said...

I love your trousers, so good! And good tips, I constantly find myself being blinded by the fact that something is covered in sequins... then realising I don't actually want it at all.

Ashley said...

fun!!
my mom is scared to set foot in a thrift store.

xs said...

great tips. you're rockin' those boots!

Wholesale jewelry said...

I like you blog !

sertonina said...

Oh my god... THESE SHOP IT´S VERY LARGE!! and cheap too!